Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Grilling Gene

I am really not sure why it is perceived that women should cook and guys should grill. Maybe it stems from prehistoric roots where the cave is now a kitchen (enclosed “woman” space), and the man is still outside hunting/grilling the meat. Or perhaps it has something to do with playing with fire that attracts men and deters women. Whatever the reason, if there is a man around, they will man (har, har) the grill. I have seen this for my entire life.

So when people come to my house, they might be surprised to find me, a woman, grilling away. And I am quite good at it too…just ask MKD. Not only had I converted her from being a vegetarian for 9 years, but I have her craving my meat (a delicious double entendre!) all the time. I think it has to do with a grilling gene, typically found in men, that resides in me and interacts with my boy brain. And I like fire too. I feel like Survivorman when I get a fire started. Only I have lighter fluid and a lighter with a long nozzle so I can avoid burning my delicate woman hands.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com