Monday, March 24, 2008

CakeLove

Is rich in many ways. Let’s see.

They are popping up all over the place and expanding into cafes. From exposure on the Food Network and word-of-mouth, this business is raking in the bucks. Given that the story behind the founder is a gem, and the motto/idea is simple: “Cakes from scratch,” it’s no wonder that this take on desserts appeals to people.
But these tasty treats come at a hefty price tag. $3 for a cupcake and $6 for a cheesecake smaller than the palm of my hand is a bit ridiculous. The price would not have been so bad if the product was equally worth it. In my honest opinion, it is not, and I have buyer’s remorse as a result. And diarrhea.

Which leads me to my next reason why CakeLove is rich…
Its flavors, ingredients, etc. are rich. Rich and heavy. Perhaps more than one item leads to intense intestinal distress. So for people with average digestive systems, do not indulge on more than one serving. Consider yourself warned.

Trying to satiate my sweet tooth and treat myself to something celebratory in the completion of a publication led to my wandering to CakeLove. In the future, I know better than to venture there again. I could have gotten better cupcakes from a box mix. The icing wasn’t bad, but my cream cheese icing I made recently was better and I am giving Cinnabon a run for their money. As for the cheesecake, it was not as dense as a typical cheesecake and had a thicker graham cracker crust. But its extremely small size and lack of orgasmic reactions in my taste buds made me think of better uses for my six bucks.

Frankly, Safeway the grocery store has better desserts. For about the same amount of money I spent at CakeLove, I could have gotten one of my favorite desserts:
It has a croissant-type layered, flaky pie crust with large sugar granules on the bottom, with a custard body, and fresh fruit on top (kiwis, strawberries, mandarin oranges, etc.) with a light gelatin glaze. It serves 8-10 people and is fabulous.

In short, CakeLove? No thank you. I have better uses for my money.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com