Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Connectivity

I have been thinking about the “six degrees of separation”* theory a lot lately. The older I get and the more people I meet, the more I think this theory is applicable. After all, I am only three degrees away from Kevin Bacon. So if you are not already connected to him in a way you know of, you are now the fourth degree.

If you don’t already know, MKD and I met online. You think you meet complete strangers online, but it turned out that we had many common links when we dug deep. The idea that we could have eventually met through our common links brings on the “what if” mind wanderings. That and fate/destiny…but those are topics for another discussion.

So every time I meet someone ‘new,’ I question if I know him or her from somewhere else or what common links we might have if we really investigated. Plus I find that new people remind me of people I have known and tend to have very similar features. Then I get stuck in what I like to call, ‘The Truman Show’ mindset where everyone are actors playing multiple roles, hence the familiarity. Very egotistic, I know.


*BTW, I recently saw the movie and have very mixed feelings about it. I am leaning toward, it just wasn’t that good.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com