Monday, April 03, 2006

At a loss

There has been something bothering me since high school. I have a favorite song…but do not know what it is. It is one of those “I’ll know it when I hear it” situations. I have only heard the song twice in my life during the high school years, and I distinctively remember where I was, but cannot remember enough of the song lyrics or melody to search for it. The song is by a female artist, would likely be filed under the “Pop” category, and that is all I got. The strange thing is that even though I have only heard the song twice, I felt like I had known the song forever and it resonated perfectly in my brain. So there is a chance that I have heard the song before when I was a lot younger and was not fully cognizant of it at the time, but it lingers there in my subconscious. Memory is a fascinating thing.

I wish I could go through a music library of every song by a female artist that could have been popular enough to be aired on the radio many years ago. Sort of like in an episode of John Doe (am I the only one that has seen this show besides MKD and Center?!) where he goes into this laboratory and some guy in a white coat hooks him up to this super computer which generates every song ever made to try and trigger any lost memories. I need something like that.

I feel like Al Bundy in that episode of Married With Children where he is struggling to know the name of a song he can only hum a few notes from (I took the time to make sure I am not suffering from a faulty memory and it is season 5, episode “Oldies But Young’uns”). But unlike Al, I cannot remember squat.

[Okay, I think I watch too much tv.]

I am constantly on alert to hear this song again in my life. Unfortunately, I cannot make this a collective effort and will have to soldier on alone.

If I ever find this elusive song, will it still be my favorite? Will all my hard work be for naught? Like many things in life, only time will tell.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com