Friday, December 30, 2005

So it begins…

Even though I like my job okay, I know I can do better. For one, I really got screwed in terms of salary when I started a couple of years ago because I was fresh out of grad school. Now that I have the bullshit “real world” experience and learned more than I can recount, I am definitely getting fucked over. So that is a big motivator for me to get my ass in gear and find a job that pays me closer to what someone in my position should be making. Plus, it is a small company, which is nice to start out in, but not somewhere to end up. The president is retiring in the near future, so the fate of the company is up in the air. I find I need more stability in my job in order to stay somewhere long term and feel comfortable.

However, there are a few things I am going to miss if my job hunt results in a successful transition. I do like most of the people I work with, my commute is not too bad, and I like having a window office. So if I am able to find a place that offers me those things and better pay, then I am out of here faster than that damn roadrunner. There will be a cloud of dust from my tracks that spell out, “C-ya.” (Beep! Beep!)

I have already gotten a call back from one potential employer. This company is very large, reputable, and nearby to where I live. Plus, they are hiring for a position I am currently occupying and totally qualified for. I asked for a salary bump of about 24K (I told you I had been screwed). I know this might seem greedy since some people make that much a year, but if I am going to make the move, then I am going to make it from a “sure thing to another sure thing” (to quote my dad). I do have it pretty good where I am at for now, so the pressure to get a new job is not as great as it would be if I were unemployed. So I have nothing but bargaining power and time on my side. Besides, everything I do is art (my mantra) and I am worth it, goddamnitthankyouverymuchhaveaniceday.

So I have the interview scheduled in the New Year. It will take up an entire afternoon with various people grilling me. Time for me to grow those big balls and strut around.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com