Monday, December 12, 2005

Brief recap

Here are some of the highlights from my two days in a Federal building for the symposium…

The insane security
  • Me: (approach the desk with attendants) May I ask a quick question?

  • Desk Woman: You have to go through security first.

  • Me: (looks incredulously at the security checkpoint 20 feet away) But I just want to ask a quick question to make sure I am in the right location (since I had been redirected previously).

  • Desk Woman: You have to go through security first.

  • Me: (loud and annoyed) I just want to ask a question!

  • Backup: (Big, scary guard approaches with hand on gun)

  • Me: (went though security so I could get my question answered)

The cafeteria
  • Me: May I please have the chicken sandwich?

  • Cafeteria Employee: (reaches hand in vat of yellow liquid pulling out a chicken breast and throws it on the grill). And you?

  • My colleague: I’ll have a hamburger, please.

  • Cafeteria Employee: (reaches hand in vat of brown liquid pulling out a patty and throws it on the grill)

  • Me: (give my colleague a disgusted look and fear dysentery later)

  • My Colleague: At least it is going on the grill.

The speakers
  • Speaker 1: I’ve actually never looked at this before, but here are my thoughts on the matter.

  • Speaker 2: …and that is why we should do [x,y, and z]. I still have yet to look at the it, but it should work.

  • Speaker 3: (drones on and on trying to sound intelligent to cover the fact that he has nothing valuable to add)

  • Me: (whispers) Why are 90% of the speakers talking about a subject they really have no clue about? I feel like they are saying a lot of stuff but really saying nothing at all.

  • My Colleague: Fucking academics.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com