Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Evolution of Phone Usage

I really do not like talking on the phone. If I do, I want the conversation to last only a few minutes. An ideal conversation for me would be, “Hello? Yup, see you there at 8. Bye!” I would much rather talk to someone face-to-face than over the phone. But I do make exceptions for the people that live far away from me and need to catch up with me over the phone as opposed to in person. But if I can email them, I would much rather do that route. Is this where technology has taken me???

I did not always used to be this way. In fact, I remember a time when I spent a great deal of my day voluntarily on the phone. In middle school, I had a mental list of people that I would call EVERY night (what a sad adolescent I was). Then in high school, it was mostly with some significant other or with friends talking about the significant other. College was a little different since I had a job that required talking on the phone the whole time.

But the pinnacle of my lifetime phone usage was when I met MKD and we maintained a long distance relationship by talking on the phone for 8 hours a day. Now that we live together, there are no more long distance charges to worry about (thankfully…as I think I could have bought a small island in the Caribbean).

Currently, my cell phone has so many unused minutes every month. It primarily gets used for social/business events and in case of emergencies. My home phone is bombarded with telemarketers, so I let the machine pick up any calls I get there.

Is this progression to the extinction of my phone usage due to increasing age or due to the ease of interacting with a machine rather than verbal stimuli? I may never know. But if you want to get a hold of me, email me, text me, or send me a psychic message. If you call me, don’t be surprised if you get my voicemail.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com