Monday, March 28, 2005

Case of the Muundays

Ah yes, everyone’s favorite day of the week! Sometimes I wonder how my life became so much like “Office Space.” Maybe I’ll just stop going to work. I would love to stay home and sleep as long as the dog does. Lucky dog.

But I must admit that not going to work would prevent me from my FreeCell streak. I began playing this game after I realized that I had mastered all the other games available on the computer (free of downloading). Although, my Minesweeper times could improve (Beginner: 9 seconds, Intermediate: 54 seconds, and Expert: 196 seconds), the rapid and constant mouse clicks (especially the right click) are indicative of me not “working.” FreeCell requires fewer mouse clicks (plus no right click), and longer time intervals when strategizing.

I used to just play FreeCell not caring about the game number. But one day it occurred to me that I might inadvertently play the same game more than once. Since there are 1,000,000 games of FreeCell and the creator(s) note, “It is believed (although not proven) that every game is winnable,” I began at game 1 and proceeded sequentially. I do not remember the exact date that I started this (definitely less than 10 months), but to date, I am at game 469. Granted, I am not going to try to make it to 1,000,000 in order to prove every game is winnable, but I take comfort in knowing that I am not repeating my efforts. Plus, I did the math, and that is a lot of games per day over many, many years in order to hit 1,000,000. Asians are known to have long life spans, but the point is having a life, and therefore I will not devote it to FreeCell. That is why I only play it at work. It passes the time and keeps my brain occupied from the monotony.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com